Chelsea’s Champions League marketing campaign is unquestionably over after they have been brutally outclassed by Bayern Munich within the last-16 first-leg tie at Stamford Bridge.
The Bundesliga leaders adopted within the footsteps of closest rivals RB Leipzig, who gained at Tottenham at this identical stage six days beforehand, by coming to the capital and producing a massively spectacular show.
And, as when Bayern inflicted an historic 7-2 residence defeat on Spurs in October, former Arsenal star Serge Gnabry was the tormentor-in-chief as he revelled on his return to London.
The 24-year-old scored 4 on the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and he delivered the top product Bayern had threatened from the kick-off when he struck clinically twice early within the second half after being arrange by the excellent Robert Lewandowski.
Lewandowski absolutely snuffed out any lingering hopes Chelsea had of a comeback when he completed off one other sweeping assault, fed by the sensible teenager Alphonso Davies.
As if this was not sufficient, Chelsea’s distress was compounded by defender Marcos Alonso being despatched off late on after a conflict with Lewandowski after the skilled Jorginho had been dominated out of the second leg when he obtained a foolish yellow card for dissent.
Chelsea’s lack of sophistication uncovered
Chelsea might have truly over-stretched themselves by getting out of a bunch containing Valencia and Ajax, key outcomes being a win over final season’s semi-finalists in Amsterdam and a freakish 4-Four draw at Stamford Bridge, once they got here from 4-1 down.
This, nevertheless, was a step too far.
The warning indicators have been flashing nearly from the kick-off as Bayern, trying sharper and extra ingenious than the facet nicely crushed by Liverpool at this identical stage final season, sliced them aside.
Chelsea one way or the other survived the primary 45 minutes in tact however the menace from the likes of Gnabry, Lewandowski and Kingsley Coman was evident, Thomas Muller coming closest with a header in opposition to the bar.
It was no shock when Bayern opened up Chelsea with precision for 3 second-half objectives and Frank Lampard’s facet merely had no reply in any space of the pitch.
When Chelsea had half-chances they might not convert them and when harmful balls flew throughout the face of objective there was no-one on the top of them.
Chelsea appeared a nicely crushed facet as soon as the impasse was damaged by Gnabry six minutes after the break and if there’s any comfort, and in fact there’s not, it’s that the harm may have been quite a bit worse, such was the gulf at school.
They pulled off a miracle to win the Champions League in opposition to Bayern in their very own Allianz Arena in 2012 – however there isn’t any proof to recommend they may come wherever close to the outcome they require within the second leg.
Bayern present prime quality
When Bayern have been comfortably overcome 3-1 by Liverpool within the second leg of their last-16 assembly at residence final season, they appeared a drained facet in want of rejuvenation.
And whereas it’s onerous to take an correct measure of simply how good they’re given how poor Chelsea have been, this was nonetheless mightily spectacular.
Lewandowski is a world-class expertise fully at residence at this stage whereas Gnabry is approaching full maturity. Thomas Muller, who appeared previous his greatest, seems re-born.
And in 19-year-old Alphonso Davies they’ve a wonderful younger expertise who has all of it, raiding from left-back with tempo, composure and finish product.
Bayern have a love affair with the Champions League, are they within the means of rekindling it?
Man of the match – Alphonso Davies (Bayern Munich)
‘Sobering and brutally sincere’ – what they stated
Chelsea supervisor Frank Lampard advised BT Sport: “The efficiency was poor and typically it’s a must to be brutally sincere. They outclassed us in each division and it is fairly sobering. The stage of crew they’re is why they problem within the Bundesliga and Europe yr in yr out. I’m dissatisfied we could not do extra in opposition to them. We must take it on the chin and work in direction of getting again to the degrees we wish to be at.
“If you have a look at the selection of passes they make, our selections have to enhance. If our gamers have a bit about them, which I believe they do, they may have a look at who they have been enjoying in opposition to and the extent they should work to. We will all the time play with satisfaction however I’m extra involved concerning the greater image. How shortly can we get well for the Premier League and the way shortly can we get to the extent?”
On the suspended gamers: “Jorginho is finished by speaking to the ref, which is pointless if you’re on a yellow card. Marcos Alonso I have never seen but and I’ll have a look at it, however they’re out of the sport so it is a chance for another person to come back in.”
Chelsea crumble to European low – match stats
- Chelsea have suffered eight residence defeats in all competitions this season, their worst tally of residence defeats because the 1985-86 season (additionally eight).
- Bayern Munich are solely the third crew in Champions League historical past to win their first seven video games in a season, after Barcelona in 2002-03 and Real Madrid 2014-15, neither of whom went on to win the trophy.
- This was Chelsea’s heaviest ever residence European defeat and their heaviest defeat at Stamford Bridge in any competitors since January 2018 (3-Zero v Bournemouth within the Premier League).
- Only Barcelona (10) have gained extra away Champions League video games in England than Bayern Munich (seven), with Bayern scoring 26 objectives of their final 10 away matches in England (W6 D2 L2).
- Bayern Munich’s Serge Gnabry has scored all six of his Champions League objectives in London (4 vs Spurs, two vs Chelsea) – he’s the primary participant in Champions League historical past to attain all his first six objectives in opposition to groups of the identical nation.
- Gnabry has scored six objectives in two appearances in London for Bayern Munich, having scored none in 9 appearances in London for Arsenal between 2012 and 2014.
- Bayern supervisor Hans-Dieter Flick grew to become solely the seventh supervisor to win his first 4 Champions League matches, and the primary since Diego Simeone in November 2013.
- Bayern’s Robert Lewandowski has scored 9 away Champions League objectives this season, a joint file in a single season within the competitors together with Cristiano Ronaldo in 2013-14.
- Lewandowski has been instantly concerned in 13 objectives in simply six Champions League appearances this season (11 objectives, two assists).
- Marcos Alonso grew to become the primary Chelsea participant to be despatched off within the Champions League since John Terry was dismissed in April 2012 in opposition to Barcelona.
Chelsea return to Premier League motion with a visit to Bournemouth on Saturday, 29 February (15:00 GMT), whereas Bayern journey to Hoffenheim within the Bundesliga on the identical day (14:30 GMT).